Tuesday 20 September 2011

Left Alone by Farinde Fabs Obafemi

Left alone
It feels just lyk yesterday
When I was but
A chubby naughty little baby
In the arms of busty bra-less aunt
Ngozi
I some times wonder
why Mama's face always folded
with frowns
She would cradle me to sleep
Singing slurry soulful lullabies
As I watched her lovely lips
Breaking into sparkling smiles
Cherry kisses and lavender hugs
Through half open lids
Memories still linger
Of waves and heart gladdening
breeze
From noons and eves
Spent at the beach
before the clutch of death
took her with the sands
I remember,
Papa would hold me
Swing me,
Till this young butterfly believed
he belonged with the birds
In his arms I could fly
But he was too busy
Paper and ink, ties and bonds
Mama's Egusi started getting cold
Night after night, her bed wet
with regret
Day after day
Then these theatrical set of men
All claiming to be 'Uncle
Acting nice when I walk in
With their hands on Mama's chest
lipsticks smeared on their white
shirts
Trousers swollen
as though they had batons
hidden in them
Dancing dangerous and wicked
On Papa's bed
Making Mama cry
For they bent her in awkward
positions
A dance of shame
I tried to tell Papa
But his ears were distant
Distorted and different
Like the lies of the perfumes
That clung to his skin every time I
hugged him at midnight......
Now they barely even speak
I feel lyk a bird who has lost its
beak
Winglessly hoping for sunshine
And wind to bring back
Aunt Ngozi and the love we once
shared

No comments:

Post a Comment